As is the cycle for Checkpoint, I have once again returned from a hiatus. Life happened and time, much as it has done in the past two years, has somehow both passed me by quickly and almost nothing has happened since the last blog five months ago! Now, this thirty year old is warming up his typing figures, brushing off his big words and delving back into the blog. You’ve reached a Checkpoint.
A year ago I found out that I was to be made redundant from my job at the time and I went into the end of 2020 filled with uncertainty and no real sense of direction. You may or may not have come across my review of 2020 but it was a strange time for me, filled with part time jobs and a vague desire to change. Across the end of last year and into this year, I started to reflect on what I liked, where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do and part of that shift manifested with me re-investing time into Checkpoint, keeping me at least mentally active over these quieter periods, even if I did become lazy. For a while my dedication to the site persevered with consistent posting and even small but continued community growth but as mentioned in with Checking in with Checkpoint I started a new job in March and since then time has escaped me. In the five months since that post, work has dominated a lot of what I have been doing and has left little time for me to sit down and invest the time Checkpoint deserves. The undertaking was much more than I expected and it took a lot of time and energy to remain on task, let alone pursuing out of work activities. As a result, Checkpoint fell into a slumber while the world moved on around it. That is until today.
I am in the process of re-establishing a routine for how everything is going to land but I am looking at a one blog a week as well as streaming once or twice a week, time permitting. The good news is that during this little hiatus I have invested in a decent PC meaning that writing, streaming and even recording will be significantly easier. I have a notepad here with all my plans scrawled down so I am in the process of bringing some of these to life as well as finishing off some of the posts I had been working on before – there is A LOT to come!
Looking back at the past five months I picked a very busy period to miss as well! Take a look at some of the things I missed while I was away and that I am looking at covering as I get back into it!
- *** SPOILER *** Loki made some waves with the MCU Multiverse
- Spider-Man has been all over the place from the No Way Home trailer to a Spider-Man 2 for PS5 announcement – its a good time to be a Spidey fan.
- We have had our first look at God of War 2…
- Pokémon has shown a lot more on both Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl as well as Legends and I’ve got to say it looks goooood
- Shang-Chi has properly launched the next Phase of the MCU with the Eternals also showing a very intriguing trailer
- I’ve been utilising Games Pass a lot more recently… its absurd that I haven’t used it properly recently given its a service that offers access to over 100 high-quality games and all the benefits of Xbox Live Gold for one low monthly price…
- Destiny 2 has come back with a vengeance with its new Season of the Lost, first looks at the Witch Queen and changes to things like the divisive Trials of Osiris…
There is a lot to cover and I have my work cut out for me that’s for sure. But all of the above, and many more, are all incredibly exciting and I can’t wait to be able to put the time in to be able dig into these topics and I can’t wait to hopefully hear from you guys too. With the streaming on the horizon, as well as the Discord almost ready, it will be great to be able to chat to you all as well so we can continue these chats outside of the blog. I love hearing your ideas and feedback so the dreams of this little community can’t be killed by a little IRL work!